Cavalry Club - Manlius, NY
Available Position: Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
Under the supervision of Golf Course Superintendent Ben Carroll
· Highly motivated individual with leadership qualities and the ability to work with and train others to elevate their skill sets to the next level
· Open minded individual, willing to learn and gain valuable experience for future pursuit of Golf Course Superintendent role.
· Passion for the game of golf
· Appreciates the provided work-life balance, and is “all in” while on property.
If you meet those qualifications please read on and submit your resume…
About the Club:
Designed by nationally recognized Golf Course Architects, Joe Lee and Dick Wilson, the Cavalry Club opened to instant acclaim in 1965. Carved into the rolling countryside of Manlius, NY and nestled along the sweeping curve of Limestone Creek, the Cavalry Club is widely considered one of the best layouts in the region.
In 2021, the club hired respected architect David Ferris from Sanford Ferris Golf Design, who grew up a stone's throw from the club, to formulate a long range Master Plan. Phase 1 of the plan began in 2021 with a strategic tree removal program to open up vistas and promote air flow and turf grass health throughout the property. Phase 1 of the Master Plan also saw a full rebuild of Front-9 par 3 tee boxes. In 2022, Phase 2, the course underwent a full course bunker renovation project which saw the reshaping and relining (using capillary concrete) of all bunkers on the course and reconstruction of corresponding green surrounds.
2023 will be a less aggressive year from a on-course project standpoint, with the focus on providing the finest possible playing conditions and experience for our membership.
The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent assists in the day-to-day operations of the Golf Course Maintenance Program, including: turfgrass maintenance programs, personnel management, maintenance of irrigation systems, spray applications, and small project execution and leadership.
· Embrace the task of maintaining the golf course and grounds to Championship level standards.
· Prepare daily work schedules and train/supervise employees.
· Take a proactive approach to developing innovative ideas to maximize productivity of employees and equipment.
· Lead by example, motivate and have a sense of ownership, and dedication to a quality product. Hold all team members accountable for their area of responsibility.
· Implement cultural practices and Moisture Management to all playing surfaces daily.
· Supervise calibration, application, and record keeping of pesticide applications.
· Supervise and participate in the operation and maintenance of pumps, irrigation, and drainage systems.
· Assist in the implementation of the Master Plan
· Assist in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline.
Education and/or Experience
· Bachelor of Science degree in Turf Management or Associates Degree in related Turfgrass Science certification or related field such as Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant/Soil Science preferred.
· Prior experience as an Intern, Assistant-in-Training, First or Second Assistant is preferred
Licenses and Special Requirements
· NYS Pesticide License or ability to obtain
· Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record.
Compensation, Benefits & Work-Life Balance
Anticipated Salary: 55k -62k
Benefits include the option to participate in group health insurance plans, 401(k) plan, coverage of educational and association costs, cell phone, lunch daily and travel reimbursement
Daily hours will vary seasonally but an average day’s schedule is 5am-2pm with alternate weekends off (opposite of Head Superintendent). Weekly schedule dependent on course calendar, events, and weather.
For more information or to apply, please contact Ben Carroll at email@example.com.