Golf Course Superintendent Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club
About Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club
Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club is a premier golf club conveniently located between Rochester, NY & Syracuse, NY overlooking beautiful Sodus Bay. With four sets of tee boxes, novice to expert golfers enjoy this Geoffery Cornish-designed masterpiece.
Established in 1924, Sodus Bay Heights is a club with a rich golf history. While still a teenager, Robert Trent Jones began his legendary career by serving as the first golf professional at Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club.
Sodus Bay Heights began as a nine-hole golf course with a clubhouse, a separate pro shop and a small caddy building. In 1953, an addition to the clubhouse was planned and constructed. Today this addition is the Robert Trent Jones grill room. On July 1st, 1972, a new clubhouse was opened. It includes a beautiful banquet room with panoramic windows offering views of Sodus Bay. The pro shop was incorporated into the new building, eliminating the need for the caddy house. A patio was added just outside the grillroom in 1980.
In 1966, Claude Wright Sr. formed a committee to begin planning the expansion of the golf course to eighteen holes. Geoffrey S. Cornish, a golf course architect from Amherst, Massachusetts, was retained to redesign the existing course and layout an additional nine holes on the west side of Route 14. On May 25, 1969, the new 18-hole golf course was dedicated. A memorial stone commemorating the day was placed next to the flagpole.
Overall Job Description
The golf course superintendent is entrusted with the maintenance, operations and management of a golf course as well as manages labor, time, materials and finances in a manner that is compatible with the environment, meets financial goals and serves the members.
· Certificate, Associates, or Bachelor’ degree from an accredited turf grass program or similar field.
• Minimum three to five years of responsible golf course maintenance including two years of administrative and supervisory experience.
• Advanced knowledge of agronomy and turf grass management practices ; a working knowledge of golf facility construction principles, practices and methods ; and a thorough understanding of the rules and strategies of the game of golf.
• Pump station knowledge.
• Have or attain a New York State Pesticide License upon hiring if not already licensed.
• Skills in employee relations, management styles, organizational development, work/family balance, time management, stress management, labor issues and leadership vs. management.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Effective negotiation skills.
• Effective presentation skills.
• Keep and maintain golf courses to the standards set by Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club.
• Responsibilities include : fertilizer/pesticide applications, daily course maintenance procedures, irrigation utilization, and co-worker relation.
• Manages the maintenance inputs to the golf course and tennis courts while conserving and protecting natural resources.
• Provides advice and recommendations to the board and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services as requested.
• Supervising the construction and maintenance of the golf course whether performed by maintenance staff or outside contractors.
• Responsible for the record keeping of chemicals and fertilizers, inventories usage and man hours.
• Ensures maintenance of equipment and proper instruction for usage, the planting and watering of grass, flowers, trees and shrubs, and the fertilization of all turf areas, trees, plants, shrubs and hedge material.
• Directly supervises employees in the maintenance department in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
• Ensures that employees are taught safety procedures on equipment, chemicals and fertilizers.
• Initiates changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.
• Coordinates operations and communicates with the board of directors.
• Prepares the annual budgets for the maintenance and capital improvement of course properties.
• Keeps accurate and complete records on payroll, inventory, weather data, maintenance procedures, pesticide applications, water withdrawals, etc.
• Responsible for inventory control and oversees the equipment maintenance programs. Approves all expenditures and exercises cost control measures to keep, as nearly as possible, operating and capital expenses in line with the approved budgets.
• Attends meetings of the club’s board of directors.
• Provides professional advice, opinions, assistance and services to the board of directors as required
• Maintain a membership in the Golf Club Superintendents Association of New York
• Participation in continuing education opportunities such as seminars, workshops, correspondence courses, field days and trade shows.
• Prepares reports and other support material for committee and board use.
• Conducts himself in a responsible and professional manner at all times while at or away from the club and encourages other staff members to do the same to reflect the proper image of the club throughout the community.
• Reports to the Board of Director
Salary and Benefits
A competitive base salary commensurate with experience
Benefits include health care stipend, paid time off, education and association benefits, and retirement contributions
How to apply
Please email resume and cover letter to Joe Vater at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 5th, 2022. Please include SBHGC Superintendent Application in the subject line of the email