Horticulturalist (3 openings)
Turning Stone Resort
From $16.50+ based on experience
Driver's License (Required)
Paid time off
Full Job Description
- Selects, propagates and grows plant materials for ornamental use on and around the golf course, and the interior/exterior of all Resort properties.
- Assists in developing and implementing flower bed designs and cultivates shrubs and flowers for the professional appearance of the golf courses and interior and exterior landscapes.
- Routinely installs and maintains low pressure irrigation systems for proper landscaping procedures.
- Provides direction to groundskeepers for the routine maintenance of ornamental plantings and ensures appropriate and safe application of pesticides and fertilizers, when needed.
- Implements/develops cost control approaches associated with the ordering and care of ornamentals plant material.
- Establishes, maintains and documents appropriate schedules of cleaning, pruning and fertilizing all potted plant materials and interior and exterior gardens.
Position Minimum Qualifications:
- Associate’s degree in Horticulture, Landscape Design or a related field is preferred but not necessary for consideration.
- Previous experience in horticulture, commercial landscape design or closely related field.
- Knowledge of the characteristics, growth habit and proper cultivation of a wide selection of flowering bulbs and annual, biennial, and perennial plant materials including both herbaceous and woody plants.
- Knowledge of the characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers, soil conditioners and pest control methods and materials.
- Certification or licensing as a pesticide applicator is a plus.
- Must be available to maintain flexible schedule.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to diagnose and adhere to safety standards.
- Valid New York State driver’s license (or ability to obtain one upon establishing residency).
- Occasionally requires working at heights up to 20 feet.
Position Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to frequently stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Repetitive use of the hands for constant pushing, pulling, fingering and grasping in the use of tools and equipment. Occasionally lift up to 50 lbs and frequently up to 20 lbs using proper lifting techniques.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $16.50 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
- horticulture, commercial landscape design: 1 year (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: Multiple Locations
For more information and to complete an online application, please visit our website at www.turningstone.com/careers.