Golf Course Superintendent
Oswego Country Club
Oswego Country Club is seeking a Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) to continue the strong legacy of a high-quality, 18-hole, private golf course developed by our long-term GCS who will retire at the end of the 2022 golf season (10/31/22). Ideally, the new GCS will on-board prior to October 2022 to allow for a healthy turnover (2-3 months) with the retiring GCS to develop a thorough understanding of our course care program, as well as cold weather preps, winter equipment maintenance program, budget development and board/member interface.
Oswego Country Club is among the Nation’s oldest golf clubs, having been established in 1897. Today’s clubhouse was opened in 1903. In 1915, world renowned golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast redesigned and expanded the original course into what is now known as the Front Nine. In 1978, the club retained the services of golf course architect Geoffrey Cornish to develop property that is now known as the Back Nine.
The ideal GCS candidate will have the following attributes:
· 4-year degree in turf related field preferred (2-year degrees will be considered)
· Experience as a GCS or Assistant GCS
· NY State pesticide license
· A “playing” GCS is preferred to demonstrate an understanding of what the membership desires from a course playability perspective
Responsibilities of the GCS include:
· Develop a turf-grass management program designed to provide a playing surface that meets the members playing standards while optimizing turf health and preserving environmental integrity;
· Maintain the golf course, including fairways, roughs, greens, trees and grounds in an aesthetically pleasing manner;
· Work with contracted Golf Course Architect on the redevelopment of #9 green anticipated in 2022/2023 including temporary green;
· Control and direct the maintenance, care and improvement of the grounds including maintenance facility, irrigation system and other golf course machinery;
· Supervise the Assistant GCS and all course related employees;
· Assist the Chairperson of the Green Committee in preparing the annual Course budget, while providing budgetary consultation and input to other committees;
· Apply, inventory, record, and maintain all pesticides in accordance with applicable laws, regulations (federal, state and local), and prudent management practices;
· Coordinate course related tournament needs and related activities with the golf professional and tournament directors;
· Recruit, interview, hire, train, and supervise year-round and seasonal staff in accordance with applicable Club policies, state and federal laws;
· Coordinate the hiring of any independent outside contractor(s) retained by the EMPLOYER relating to the operation of the golf course;
· Recommend and supervise the purchase, lease, installation and maintenance of golf course equipment;
· Attend monthly board meetings (3rd Monday evening of each month);
· Work with the Long-Range and Green Committees on a long-range plan for improvements to the course facilities.
· Salary range $62,500-74,000 dependent on qualifications/experience
· Contract year from November 1-October 31 with prorated compensation/benefits for turnover period
· Number of paid vacation days negotiable
· Number of paid holidays negotiable (3 during peak golf season to be adjusted based on course needs)
· Health Insurance contribution by Club
· Family golf membership privileges (non-voting)
· Food allowance
· Fuel allowance for personal vehicle
Please respond confidentially via email to President@oswegocountryclub.com questions may be directed to Pete Cullinan 315-591-6103 (personal cell).